Community Liaison Officer - British Embassy Tunis
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.Job Category Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Residence and Support Staff)Job Subcategory Community LiaisonJob Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy in Tunis invites applications for the position of Community Liaison Officer, Grade B3 (L), to start as soon as possible.
Main purpose of the job:
To be an advocate for and provide support to UK based staff and families on family and community issues, primarily in the areas of welfare, communication, and information gathering.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Welfare and happiness at Post – Being the primary contact for new members of UK-based staff before their arrival; anticipating and answering a wide range of questions (ranging from education provision to spouse employment opportunities); welcoming new staff and their families (as well as officers on temporary duty), to ensure as smooth an integration as possible; following up to check that the settling in process is working; being a source of referral and support where questions, problems and difficulties arise; providing Post community induction training.
- Communicating effectively and building a community – Communicating regularly and creatively with staff; Coordinating and delivering social, cultural and leisure activities within the Post (to both UK based and Country Based staff), and building a strong resilience of community.
- Advocate for UK based staff and dependents in addressing issues of importance with Post authorities, including as their representatives on relevant committees and as the chief link between Post and the DSFA in London. Attending senior leadership meetings, and supporting the corporate life of the Post.
- Resource Management of the welcome pack, the Post Report and Fact Sheet, maintaining a domestic equipment float, and other Post returns e.g. COLA return.
- Problem-solving – Being a well-informed and energetic expert source of advice on life overseas, ranging from spouse/ partner employment at Post; child and adult education; care and training opportunities; single officer and foreign born spouse/ partner issues.
- Resources managed (staff and expenditure) – There is no line management, but a social committee budget will need to be maintained, with resources generated through paid-for social activities. You will also be responsible for periodic duty-free orders.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required. Some aspects of the job can be physically demanding, though help will be provided wherever possible.
The CLO role is a crucial one for a happy and harmonious Embassy, made up of diverse teams and individuals. The jobholder provides the first impression to new staff coming in from abroad, ensuring that their arrival is safe, smooth and positive, and that problems are anticipated and addressed.
They are also responsible for helping ensure that the needs of UK based and Country Based staff are met, by providing a good range of social and morale-boosting activities to help provide a sense of ‘one team’.
This is a very rewarding a fulfilling role, requiring great inter-personal skills, good judgement (and discretion), creativity and energy.
Key competencies required:
- Managing a Quality Service – Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Delivering at Pace – Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. It’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Making Effective Decisions – Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice. It means showing clarity of thought, setting priorities, analysing and using evidence to evaluate options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluency in English both verbal and spoken. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- A track record of strong delivery in customer facing roles, treating everyone with fairness and respect.
- An ability to work effectively and supportively with colleagues, both individually and in teams.
- An ability to work flexibly (in the office as well as at home), including an occasional requirement to organise events at evenings and weekends.
- Good judgement and discretion: the jobholder will need to protect sensitive personal information.
- Knowledge of Tunisia as a place to live and work (and if not, a desire to learn about the country)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Arabic and/or French language skills are desirable but not essential.
- Direct experience of living and/or working in an overseas environment, particularly in an Embassy or international organisation/company.
- Knowledge of medical/welfare/wellbeing issues
Required competencies: Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline 19 December 2021
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week: 40
Duration of Post: 12 months
Region: Middle East & North Africa